Oklahoma State Auditor & Inspector
Cindy Byrd, CPA, is Oklahoma’s 13th State Auditor & Inspector and the first woman elected to serve as the taxpayer’s watchdog.
A CPA with over 25 years of government auditing experience, Cindy began her journey as an auditor in 1997.
Throughout her tenure, Cindy has moved through the ranks and conducted every type of government audit possible across Oklahoma. Her audits have identified millions of dollars in misappropriated tax dollars and waste of public funds at every level of government.
Cindy took on the role of County Audit Division Director in 2011. Through her leadership, the Division eliminated a five-year backlog of county audits.
In 2013, Cindy was appointed Deputy State Auditor over Local Government Services and served in that capacity until her election as State Auditor in 2018.
By the end of her second term, Cindy will have published over 3000 audits including the following which garnered statewide, legislative, even national attention:
- Oklahoma Health Care Authority – Medicaid Eligibility Audit
- EPIC Charter Schools – received the 2022 Excellence in Accountability Award for Forensic Audit by the National State Auditor’s Association
- Oklahoma State Department of Health –PPE expenditures
- OESC – Fraudulent unemployment claims
Cindy and her husband Steve live in Coalgate located in Coal County, Oklahoma.
State Auditor Byrd serves as:
Designees named to:
- Archives and Records Commission
- College Savings Plan Board of Directors
- CompSource Board of Managers
- Tobacco Settlement Trust Fund Board of Investors
- Commission for Local Government Technology
- Small Business Linked Deposit Board